Thursday, May 3, 2012

Hometown Glory


I often struggle with an answer when asked “where are you from”.  Well what answer do you want?
Stop 1 - I was born in a Pleasant town outside of Detroit, Pleasant Ridge. Near the zoo, Woodward Avenue and home to Tim the Tool Man Taylor.  We only lived there for a hot minute, around 2 years so I would hardly say I’m from Detroit, but that’s where I originated so there’s that…
Stop 2 - From Detroit we flew south for the winter to Texas. Houston, Texas. Home of the Houston Rodeo, Houston Astros and Craig Biggio.  I spent some of my favorite years in Texas.  I made great friends, learned my manners and got to appreciate what life is really all about.  Most of the time I say I’m from Texas because this is where I’ve spent the largest chunk of my life.  Preschool, middle school, junior high and high school – Go TIGERS, a whole 18 years
Stops 3 & 4 - My family made a few drive by’s in Pittsburg, PA and Seattle, WA; only about 5-6 months each stop.  Wave Hi!
Stop 5 – I went to school in Ohio.  To this day I don’t know why I left Texas but I couldn’t be more thankful for my time at Franciscan University.  The town was a bit of a dump but cheap cheap cheap. And for a college kid – that’s all you need when you’re not completely on dad’s dollar.  I made lifelong friends, met my wonderful husband and developed a hatred of all things Pittsburg (sports-wise that is, the city itself is great).  This brings me to my last and final stop – so far.  My husband, PT is from Virginia and I like a school girl in love I followed PT back to VA after college.  Thank God that worked out or I would’ve checked out of “love” for a while.
Stop 6 – Grand Rapids, MI. The left part of the hand. While I was in Europe for a semester (no, I don’t count Europe) my family moved back to Michigan.  This is my new “home” I guess.  It’s where my family lives and home is where the heart is, right?  Kind of. I love Grand Rapids. It’s beautiful.  I got married there, on NYE in the # 8 hotel in the country for weddings. THANKS DAD!  My memories of that day will always include Grand Rapids. I will always love you.
Stop 7 – Virginia. Northern VA. NOVA. Close enough to DC but far enough away.  I love this area. I love DC. Virginia reminds me so much of Texas and Michigan. Maybe why I love it? I’ve been here for 4 years so far and as of now I definitely do not say I’m from Virginia. I live in Virginia. Currently. Maybe not forever. But for now this is home.

So after more information than anyone cares to read, back to initial question - Where am I from? And better yet - Where to next?

No comments:

Post a Comment