Friday, January 31, 2014

Week 24 and some DIYing

Week 24 update - it's crazy (not really).

The "Nursery"
I say "nursery" with quotations because Molly won't really have a nursery - we don't have room for one.  We'll have her crib in our room and everything else in the guest bedroom which is set up for a guest.  So sorry Molls.

This is my first REAL DIY so we'll see how it goes.  PT's parents were gracious enough to pass down a very nice dresser (for free).  I kind of felt bad about updating it since it was such a nice dresser but the other option would be to not take the dresser, make them get rid of it, and go buy one from Salvation Army to re-do.  Ya, not the best option so thank you again, in-laws!

Before I knew what we were having I was planning on going with a navy and white combo so once we found out it was a girl, I just added in a bit of girl.  I'm not a big pink fan, and neither is PT, so I decided to go with coral - not super pink but a greal color.  I also knew that I wanted the dresser to double as a changing table so it had to be big enough for that.  Here's my inspiration (thank you Pinterest):


I considered going with a white dresser but I've registered for a white crib and if the whites don't match, it will probably drive me crazy.  So I got a couple coral samples from Home Depot and decided on "Youthful Coral" by Behr.  I followed this tutorial from LiveLoveDIY since I have no idea what I'm doing.
*Note - I sanded a lot (not a little like she said).  After one coat, I needed at least 2 more (not 1 maybe 2 like she said)...

Here's the dresser before. Simple and easy but I wanted to jazz it up a bit.



I also decided to take off the doors and I'll fill those spaces with baskets - to fill with toys and/or shoes or blankets, I'll figure it out.  It was VERY difficult to find baskets that fit.  The space is 16x16x16 so it's a decent size and I didn't want a small basket where you could see everything that's in it.  Well, leave it to Pottery Barn to rock my world.  I found the basket measuring 16x16 and in the light color I wanted and ON SALE! I was pretty thrilled.  I also ordered a few drawer handles from Etsy shop, Firstfinds, to create a shabby chic look (I ordered the distressed white):





Stay tuned for the reveal...

No comments:

Post a Comment