Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Molly's Birth Story

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I won't share the dirty details so don't worry, you won't read about that here!  To be quite honest though, there really aren't any dirty details (minus the obvious), it was a surprising pleasant experience.  So here goes...

It was Thursday May 22nd.  I was scheduled to show up at the hospital at 8 PM for my induction Friday morning.  I was trying my best to keep myself occupied.  PT was working on a DIY Bar project (details coming soon) so he was running to and from Home Depot.  And my mom was on her way down to Virginia to help with the dog while we were in the hospital and help me once we were home.

My mom showed up around 5:30 PM.  Our plan was to go to dinner, get our stuff all ready and then head to the hospital.  Well right before we left for dinner, around 6 PM, I started having contractions.  I was timing them at 4 minutes apart and they were rough.  We decided to order in and after two bites of my sandwich, I knew it was time to go.  The contractions came fast but they were not messing around.  PT wanted to wait a bit longer but as soon as my mom heard me yell, "I'm never doing this again!" she told PT it was probably time to go.

We get to the hospital (about a 2 minute drive) and while checking in, the doctor from our practice is leaving...  He doesn't feel well so he's headed home but he said we'll be taken care of - add that to the already long list of things I have no idea what to expect!  As soon as we get all set up in L&D (including 4 attempts to get the IV in)  the nurse checks me out and I'm 4 cm dilated, pretty good.  Contractions were progressing to 3 minutes apart and were really intense.  I needed that epidural.  Thankfully, I didn't have to wait too long.  I think I had the epidural by 10 PM.  And let me tell you, as soon as I get that epidural, I'm set.  I'm a very happy camper.

My left leg has gone numb from the epidural so the nurse helps me readjust.  This is where things start getting a little scary for me.  Laying on my right side, Molly's heart rate decreases dramatically.  They quickly put an oxygen mask on me and position me back on my left side and we're back to normal, except my left leg.

Hours passed, we continued to progress and around 12:30 AM I started pushing.  We finally met the doctor who I'm certain was an angel.  According to our nurse, the doctor who left when we were checking in and doctor we would have had if I had been induced both push c-sections.  I was willing to have a c-section if that's what needed to happen for safety sake but not just to free up a bed.  The doctor who ended up delivering Molly was 60+.  She was amazing!  She took care of Molly and I very well and not once was c-section brought up.  She was our angel.

And then Molly joined the world at 1:40 AM.  I didn't even know she was out because my epidural was so strong which I'm very thankful for because had I known Molly was out and not crying I may have lost it.  Her cord was wrapped around her neck twice hence the no screaming.  PT said the doctor quickly moved the cord and Molly was fine.  She had meconium right before she came out so the NICU nurse was standing by.  After a quick check up, she was all mine.


2 comments:

  1. Yay! Congrats! "I'm never doing this again" = time to go...so funny. PT listen to the pregnant lady! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your experience! It was really good to read your post. I do not bad emotions after that. Congratulation!

    ReplyDelete