Thursday, January 23, 2014

A few thoughts

Let me first start by saying I startd writing this when I first found out I was pregnant.  It was all slowly sinking in so I think my shock is what makes this sound so pessimistic.  I tried to turn it around at the end, so hopefully it's not a party pooper...

I should be writing about how excited and blessed I am to be growing a little miracle.  Yes, I am excited about this baby and it is a miracle but right now it's not fun.  It's not pretty.  It's actually kind of inconvenient.  You don't feel well.  You feel fat.  You can't take a lot of medicines to make you feel better.  You can't drink.  It's hard to go out when you aren't drinking without everyone (ladies) thinking something is up, so you become anti-social.  It's great, just great.

For those of you who have yet to experience the miracle of life (I mean, I technically have not either) I'd like to discuss a few things about pregnancy no one told me.  Mostly because as soon as someone started talking about pregnancy and babies, I walked away.  I will not get graphic because no one likes that kind of stuff.  Also, this isn't what happens to everyone, we're all different.  So..

Lesson #1 - Trust your gut.  I first figured I was pregnant because I was late.  Classic.  By only a day but I had this gut feeling that something was different.  I told PT and he said to "wait it out, TOM will show up".  I also told one of my friends who was pregnant at the time and she relentlessly told me to take a test.  The only reason I didn't take a test right away was because PT made me feel like I was overanalyzing it.  I tend to overanalyze so I knew he could be right.  No matter what though, something felt different.  So a few days later I took the most important test I've ever taken, and I passed : )

Lesson #2 - You feel like you start showing immediately.  Everyone will tell you you don't look pregnant, but you know you do.

Lesson #3 - Your abs move and you feel it.  I had heard that before but I didn't get it.  Well it's really weird and feels uncomfortable.  Also, when you move your torso, sneeze, cough, laugh, etc. you get cramps because your abs have become weak.

Lesson #4 - Your body hurts so badly.  Your hips are so sore.  And your boobs, OH the pain is horrible!  Ladies, when telling friends and family, make sure to guard your chest because those hugs can kill!

Lesson #5 - I can't repeat enough that everyone is different but another thing some women get to look forward to is your foot changing sizes.  Your feet get bigger.  I'm not just talking about swelling, but they grow and all your cute shoes are too tight to wear.  I really hope this changes back post-pregnancy.  Will keep you updated.

Lesson #6 - Congestion and Bloody noses.  Most of the time, you can't breathe and apparently you can get full blown bloody noses.  Luckily, I haven't had to worry too much about this but it happens.  If you blow your nose, and there's blood, don't worry it's normal.  Has something to do with high levels in estrogen and progesterone which cause membranes to swell and soften.  Ya learn something new every day.


Truly though, knowing what I know now would not have changed my mind about having this baby. I couldn't be more excited.  I'm terrified, mind you.  But I'm so excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment