Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Identity Theft

Yes, it's a movie with Melissa McCarthy so it's probably hilarious but real life identity theft is not funny at all.  And I can say that because it looks like it's happened to me.


I'm not going to get into all the nitty gritty but something came to my attention and I'm still trying to pick up all the pieces.  So if I can help out a few friends along the way, it's the least I can do.

What I realized through all this is
  1. how easy it is to have your identity stolen but that's for another time...
  2. how many different accounts/subscriptions/etc are tied to your email.  here's a little list together just to keep in mind (and for me to keep track of...)
  • Important:
    • Insurance
    • 401k
    • Banking
    • Credit Companies
    • Credit Card
    • ezPass
    • Air travel accounts
    • School Loans
    • Insurance
  • Social:
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • Pinterest
    • LivingSocial
    • Groupon
    • Instagram
    • Instacanvas
  • Shopping: 
    • Amazon
    • eBay
    • LiveNation
    • Starbucks
    • SoleSociety
    • ShoeMint/Jewelmint
    • Kate Spade
    • Bloomingdales/Nordstrom
    • DSW
I'm sure I'm missing plenty but this is a good start.  Since I'm currently going through what it's like having your identity stolen, I will soon post more information about how it happened and what you can do to save yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment